“One of the bigger stories of Tillamook County has been the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center in Tillamook. Beginning with an abandoned school house with blackberries growing through the floors and birds finding safe havens through holes in the ceilings and a common dream, its supporters have not disappointed anyone but the birds and the blackberries.”Van Moe, Oregon Eagle, Inc.
The fully restored Maple Leaf School, now the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center, is one-quarter mile east of Highway 101, just south and east of the Tillamook Cheese Factory. The location brings visitors into the Center from all over the world.
The Latimer Center has made great progress since its opening in 1991. It is now a non-profit institution, which has already completed the first two phases of the American Association of Museums Assessment Program, and is well on the way toward museum accreditation. Latimer employs a manager to run the center and to oversee volunteer help, and a part time employee to fill in during the summer months.
1892—James and Permelia Latimer donated land, and a one-room building was hauled to the site to serve as the school.
1900—An L-shaped two-room structure was built and called the Maple Leaf School.
Late 1930’s—A new structure with two classrooms and an auditorium was built.
1959—The last class was held in the building, which was then used as a storage, maintenance and repair facility for Tillamook School District # 9.
1985—Latimer heirs donated the land and building to the Tillamook County Pioneer Museum Foundation in memory of James and Permelia Latimer.
1991—On Memorial Day, 1991, the building was opened as the Latimer Quilt and Textile Center.
1993—With the building fully restored and functional, a dedication was held in memory of the Latimers, and in honor of Clara Fairfield, whose vision and dedication created the Latimer Center.
1996—The Textile Repository building was completed with the installation of regulation museum storage facilities.
1997—MAP I, the first phase of the American Association of Museums Assessment Program, was completed.
1999—MAP II, the second phase of the American Association of Museums Assessment Program was completed.
2001—A new cabinet with pullout drawers for display of small items was installed in the quilting room.
2003—New computer and Past Perfect software installed in the repository.
2004—New lighting installed in the weaving room, quilting room and gift shop area.
2005—New lighting was installed in the library and office. We also had the major portion of our repository collection professionally assessed.